RSS Feed

Snowy Spring Cupcakes

Posted on

It’s no secret I loathe winter… and imagine my horror this morning, this lovely first day of SPRING, when I looked out the window and saw 4 new inches of snow.

You’ve got to be kidding me. Oy.

So I’m celebrating anyway, by making a new recipe in keeping with my healthier diet. They’re not exactly healthy… but they substitute most of the oil for apple sauce, so it’s a start.

Apple Cinnamon Cupcakes with Apple Cider Cream Cheese Frosting

1 box Duncan Hines Spice cake… yeah welcome to me working full time. If you want recipes from scratch you’ll have to wait until I take a few days off.

1 1/4 c. applesauce

1/3 cup oil

3 large eggs

1 tsp cinnamon

1 tsp vanilla

Combine and beat on medium for 2 minutes. Pour into prepared pans and bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted in the middle. Yum. Let cool on the counter while you whip up the yummiest frosting ever.

Apple Cider Cream Cheese Frosting

1 block cream cheese

1/2 cup butter

1 package Apple cider mix

1 tsp vanilla

4 tbsp heavy cream

3 cups confectioners sugar

Whip for 10 minutes or until light and fluffy, throw it all in a piping bag with an extra large star tip and let it chill in the fridge until your cupcakes have cooled.

You really don’t have to posses a single decorating skill when you have a giant star tip. Cram it in the cupcake and squeeze the bag until the frosting starts to come out around the tip, then work your magic and cover the top. If you mess it up, it’s frosting, eat it and nobody will know. Otherwise break out a butter knife and smoosh it around-

Voila~ cupcakes 🙂

7 responses »

1. Here in Glasgow we often get snow in april but not much.

Those look so tasty.

2. where the heck do you live, lady? I’m NE Illinois and it’s been 80’s past few weeks!

Cupcakes look wayyyyy too good!

3. These sound so good and I love the look of the frosting! Great job!

4. Oh yum! I think I have everything in the pantry/fridgie! 🙂

5. Snow? Oh no. If you’re getting it now… we’ll get it tomorrow or the next day. Sigh.

6. Yum, these look Delish!! 🙂

7. Eek!! Snow!!!

I am ecstatic to report that we have had four days now of weather over 20C! (Obviously I am Canadian and have no idea what Celsius is in Fahrenheit. Wait I will google it! Google says 70 degrees Fahrenheit.) I think I an going to start doing some photography on my rehab walks. Maybe seeing some sunshine will bring some into your day? I will leave a trackback when I post some sunny shots! I think spring is my favourite season!
    Oh and since I made no mention of the muffins featured in the post… I have celiac disease, (I can’t eat any gluten found in wheat, barley, rye, and their derivatives.) so I try to not even see things that look overly enticing as if I eat them in a moment of weakness they will tear apart my stomach.
    If you have any G-Free recipes, send them my way!! 😀
    xo – S.